I know this seems redundant, but I cannot believe that the year is coming to an end in a mere 8 days. Some of you may know that I started this blog a few years ago and took a bit of a break to finish my schooling. Between working part time and working towards a degree I barely had time to breathe, let alone maintain a blog I was proud of. Since graduating, I re-imaged my whole blog and began taking it more seriously. I began seeing an overwhelming response from friends, family and new readers. I initially started this blog as a creative outlet to write while I found a career in my field, I now spend every moment of my day thinking of new ideas for posts and videos for you guys. So before I get into my December Beauty Favourites, I wanted to extend a big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read and share my posts.
I don’t know what it is about this month, but the beauty gods have blessed me by helping me discover so many good products. Whenever I think my list is complete, I find something else to add to it. I’ve divided this favourite’s list into skin, hair and makeup for easier navigation, so without further ado, here are my favourite new products.
1. Purity Made Simple one-step face cleanser – I’m not going to lie to you, I always thought cleaners were kind of a rip off, so I never invested in them. My daily skincare routine consisted of using a makeup remover followed by washing my face with a Dove beauty bar and finishing with a moisturizer. I always stood by the idea of maintaining a healthy diet and drinking lots of water to keep your skin clean and fresh, and although I still believe in that, I have slightly changed my tune for this face cleanser. In one easy step, this face cleanser gets rid of makeup, dirt and oil leaving your skin hydrated and balanced. I’ve always kind of had an issue with an oily t-zone, less so now that I’m an adult and don’t eat quite as much Taco Bell as I did when I was 16, but this cleaner has completely eliminated that problem. I’ve also noticed far less breakouts lately which is a-ok in my books.
2. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream- I always heard that I had to start using an eye cream in my 20’s as a preventative measure, but never really took it seriously. Genetically, the women in my family have been blessed with little to no wrinkles so I never really saw a need for it. I decided to pick up a sample of this eye cream to test it out and I’ve been hooked ever since. Just a small dab below the eye’s before bed, and I woke up with my dark circles completely eliminated and fresh-looking eyes. Just because I love you guys so much, I’m going to let you in on a little beauty secret. You know those annoying lines on your lips? Those with full lips like mine will know the struggle, well a little dab of eye cream on your lips will plump them right up and get rid of them quickly and easily. For best results, I usually exfoliate my lips and apply the eye cream to the fresh skin. An anti-wrinkle cream will also work wonders on your lips. The down side to eye creams is that your skin can get used to nutrients in your cream after a couple of weeks and you can stop reaping the benefits and seeing the results you initially saw. Having a few different kinds of cream on constant rotation can help your skin constantly gain the benefits each product offers.
3. Bite Agave Lip Mask – This leave-on lip mask is absolutely perfect for the winter months when your lips get dry and chapped. According to the Sephora website, this mask includes “bio-active blend of organic agave nectar, jojoba oil, vanilla CO2 extract, and triple the amount of antioxidant trans-resveratrol found in red wine”. I usually coat my lips with vaseline before bed or whenever I feel like my lips need to be quenched, this mask is about the same texture of vaseline, so I didn’t find that it bothered me at all. I know that a lot of people hate the feeling of a thick product slathered on their face, but if you can stand it, then this mask is completely worth it. It leaves your lips soft, supple, fresh and ready for those matte lipsticks that can look a little gross in the Winter with chapped lips.
4. Cosmetic Warrior Fresh Face Mask (Lush) – One of my best friends is absolutely obsessed with lush products, she’s constantly trying out all their different mixtures and telling me how much she loved them, so I decided to give it a try. As many women know, we’re prone to break outs around a certain time of month which can get really annoying. The Cosmetic Warrior mask contains a mixture of egg whites, honey, garlic and tea tree oil that not only get deep down to the root of the problem, but leave your skin looking fresh and clean. The only problem is the smell, all I have to say is that this product smells ripe… but in all honesty I would rather have a stinky, natural mask than a mask thats pumped with chemicals for a false, fresh smell. The best part is that these masks only cost $8 per tub. You really can’t go wrong.
5. Origins Out of Trouble 10 Minute Mask – I just discovered the origins masks and I’m hooked. Sephora sell’s the little pods of individual use masks for $5 each, every time I’m in there (which is a lot, I go there a lot) I pop one of these into my basket. The only one I’ve been really impressed with is the Out of Trouble mask, According to the Sephora website, this mask contains “zinc oxide, sulfur, camphor”. Those in the health care profession know that zinc oxide is used to heal open wounds, skin damage, burns, scars or irritations, so having this chemical present in your mask can aide a majority of skin ailments. Sulfur is also an amazing agent to have when battling acne and skin that is prone to breakouts, it heals blemishes without drying out the skin like other acne treatments such as Benzoyl Peroxide, which can be found in a lot of skin care products. Sulfur is also useful for those who suffer with Eczema and Psoriasis. You can feel it working the second it gets on to your skin- it gives off the most satisfying tingle. After you wash it off, your face is fresh and free of dead cells and debris. Just thinking about this masks makes me want to run out to Sephora and get another one.
1. Alterna Haircare Caviar CC Cream – I got the Alterna Haircare Anti-Ageing Replenishing Moisture shampoo and conditioner in a little sample pack earlier this month. The pack also came with a CC Cream and a lengthening hair and scalp elixir. I wasn’t a big fan of the shampoo, my hair is naturally dry and wavy, so whenever I use a new shampoo and conditioner combo, I let my hair air dry to really see the benefits of the product. For a moisture shampoo and conditioner set did not deliver, the products left my hair extra big and extra frizzy; needless to say, I was not satisfied. The sample size shampoo and conditioner were enough for two uses, I’ve now gone back to my normal hair washing routine, but I’ve added the CC Cream. With just a small dollop, this leave in conditioner has left my hair soft and shiny. I was able to let my hair air dry and watch my curls go from a frizzy mess to smooth and shapely.
2. Alterna Haircare Caviar Repair Lengthening Hair & Scalp Elixir – I can’t really vouch for this elixir yet since I just started using it, but it basically works by treating the scalp and preventing breakage to allow your hair to grow as healthy as possible, and I like that so I decided to add it onto my list. Do not add too much of this product, it will leave your hair incredibly greasy, trust me. One pump should go a long way, spread it around your hands then work it into your roots. According to an outside study, hair treated with Alterna Haircare Caviar Repair Lengthening Hair & Scalp Elixir showed four times less breakage than untreated hair.
- Makeup Forever Mist & Fix Setting Spray – I’ve never used a setting spray before this so I went in a little timid at first. The idea of spraying a liquid on my face after I finishing my makeup freaked me
out, but I decided to give it a shot and I’m so so SO glad I did. This is now my number one product of all time. The first day I tried it, I went with pink/mauve/blush makeup for the day and a pretty dope highlight job if I do say so myself. I then sprayed two sprits of this product on my face and went about my day. A couple of hours makeup I checked back to see how my makeup was holding up and it honestly looked like I had just applied it. My shadows were intact, my highlight was on fleek and my foundation hadn’t rubbed off- Hallelujah! Honestly, do yourself a favour and get yourself a bottle of this setting spray, you’ll be so happy you did.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow pomade – I got my makeup done for a holiday party the other day, after the makeup artist shaped and sculpted my eyebrows to perfection, she added this pomade and told me I could literally walk in the rain or stand under a waterfall and my eyebrows will stay in tact with this pomade. I’ve been using it ever since and I’m so in love with this product. Not only does it give your brows that extra oomph, but it keeps them in tact all day long. Match this with the Makeup Forever Mist & Fix Setting Spray and thats all you’ll need in life. Actually though.
- Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain- ok, ok I know, everyone and their mother knows about this product and how great it is but give me a second to rave about the new colour I bought. Whenever I go for a lip stain or lipstick, I generally stay in the pink/red family but this time I decided I wanted to go with something different. I went with the shade “Blackberry Sorbet” and oh my god. It’s the perfect dark shade for the winter season; It’s rich but not too overbearing and we all know how long lasting these cream stains are.
That’s a wrap for my December beauty favourites and my posts for 2015, thank you so much again for making this year as great as possible. If you have any product recommendations, let me know so I can test out a fresh, new batch of products for you guys. I hope you all have the happiest of holidays and the coming year brings you and your family all the health and happiness possible. xoxo