I’m so excited for fall…so excited like, Jessie Spano excited (side note, I talked to a high schooler the other day that had no idea what Saved by the Bell was and it made me really, really sad. I turned to a friend of mine and said “it makes me really sad that kids don’t know what Saved by the Bell is anymore” but since I had a sinus infection he thought that I had said “it makes me really sad that kids don’t notice me anymore” and it got really awkward for a few seconds there). Anyways, like any basic bitch, fall is my all time favourite season. The colours, the crisp air, the desserts, apple picking and of course, fashion. I haven’t really been looking at fall fashion very much yet so I’m going to make my fall fashion predictions…
1. Navy – for some reason, I think that navy blue is going to be a huge colour this fall/winter season. Why you ask? well, yellow gold and rose gold jewellery have made a massive comeback lately. Almost all of the summer accessories this year came in one of these two hues, and I don’t think people are done with them yet. Navy blue looks really refined and allows the gold accessories to stand out while giving a touch of colour that black just can’t compete with.
2. Tight knits- chunky knits have been everywhere for the past few years, and for good reason. They’re loose and cozy during the cold winter season, but lets be serious, loose knits aren’t always flattering. I don’t think the chunky guys are going anywhere anytime soon, but I think tighter knits are going tobegin to make a comeback this year. Fitted wool sweaters and sweater dresses,tight knitted scarves and cardigans will give a feminine touch to an otherwise shapeless look.
3. Ankle booties- ok, these aren’t new to the fashion scene at all, but I think people are finally going to start ditching their long boots for their shorter alternative. As much as I think this will be a trend, I don’t think it’ll be one that I will indulge in. I’m 5’2 with a size 7.5/8 foot, so in short, I have big feet and ankle bootiesusually elongate the foot, especially since the more stylish ones come with a pointy toe. Mix that with skinny jeans and I’ll be looking like Krusty the Clown. I think I’ll stick to the higher boots but go for a more fitted look this year, maybe in a black or neutral hue.
4. Patterns- patterns are big for the summer and I’ve recently learned the hard way that they aren’t for me. My dad comes from a large family and as the oldest, some of his siblings are much, much younger than him. Last week, my dads youngest brother came to visit with his wife. He was only a teenager when I was born so him and I have been very close over the years. On their final day here, I decided to wear a floral t-shirt -which I thought was very flattering and slimming. Anyways, my uncle and I posed for a picture before he left, and shortly after posting it online, a friend of my mothers congratulated me on my pregnancy with my new husband (she thought my uncle was my husband…). I thought she was just a crazy old bat until I shared the story with some coworkers and they kindly pointed out that the shirt I was wearing made it look like I had a belly. I was mortified when Inoticed, I actually looked pregnant. One coworker said “I know you don’t actually look like that which is why I found it so funny, I guess florals just aren’t your thing”, and that ladies and gentlemen, is why I am staying away from patterns. None the less, I think this trend will transition from summer to fall seamlessly.
5. Turtlenecks – this throw back has been creeping into the fashion scene a lot more lately, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of warm necks this fall/winter, which does not mean that you have to skimp on accessories. Wear a long necklace over the sweater for an added sparkle.
and there you have it, my five predictions for Fall 2015. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see if they come true!